Sometimes the best therapy is a long drive and some music. That saying is really true because you need a break from your daily routine to refresh your mind. Life is like driving your car, if you drive too fast on the highway, you will topple. So, you better maintain your speed and that’s the way you have to control your head. We have completed so many long drives since me and Amit started travelling together over 3 years ago. We do at least 2-3 long road trips each year and so many shorter trips. So, we’ve become kind of experts of road trips. In this post I am sharing my personal experience. This is a sponsored post and all opinions are mine.
So many times, we went to Dallas from Bartlesville which is at least 5 hours’ drive each side and came back on same day without any rest. We went St. Louise which again was at least 7-hour long route. These pictures are from our latest trip to Miami. We took a flight from Tulsa to Orlando and then rented a car from there. As you know it’s almost 4 to 5 hours’ drive from Orlando to Miami and then 4 hours’ drive from Miami to KeyWest. If you know that you are going to drive a lot then you should be prepared for that and always keep those things in mind.
- If you are planning to attend a scheduled event then always consider some extra time for traffic. Be patient, during busy travel times expect to hit. It may make sense to drive late at night or early in the morning to avoid the rush and ensure you get to your destination on time and with minimal stress. For us it took almost 2 hours extra between Fort Lauderdale and Miami because it was a working day.
- Avoid using cruise control in heavy traffic until unless you have high end security features in your car. My car had some brilliant security features and it used to reduce your speed based on speed of vehicle ahead. Automatic break, blind side vehicle alert and many other useful features were there in that car.
- Comfort should your first priority if you are going for long drive. So, pick your car wisely. Of course, it will be really difficult if you are driving a small car. You should have enough leg space for front and back side passengers.
- Start your journey with full stock of water bottles and some cookies & snacks. Before taking your car to highway you want to make sure that you have all that because you can’t always rely on rest areas. Specially if you are travelling with kids make sure you pack enough snacks, water, games, videos and music to keep them comfortable and occupied during your journey.
- Make sure you count on stops for refreshment and restroom breaks, and time your fuel stops to ensure you don’t run low.
- Always carry A portable GPS navigation system because it helps you get where you’re going. Also, Makes it easy to find gas stations or restaurants along the way. Also, a navigator can help direct emergency services to your location.
Our car is like a second home for us so, we always carry things which we feel we need in travel. Well, I am really impressed with the Car I rented from Orlando and I am looking forward to have same type of car in future. If you are looking for best car deals then you can check Cars.com. It’s a great site to check out when it comes to researching and finding the car that’s right for you. You can get Cars.com Best of 2018 Awards as well.
Be safe. Make sure you are driving safely and follow the rules of the road.
Thanks for stopping by!